Monday 23 September 2013

HUNGRY IN HOLLAND

There is not much more to elaborate on this, the title is pretty self explanatory. I will however proceed to discuss this matter more in depth regardless (because I just love food too much not too). I am finding myself hungry not just occasionally but all day, everyday.  I find myself daydreaming about food with salt and flavour a lot.

One of the conclusions I have come to is how differently the Dutch eat. Firstly they have 'sweets' for breakfast. You know those chocolate sprinkles you usually decorate a cake with, vermicelli is its exact name. Well they put that on their bread, and they have about ten varieties of it too. It is quite delicious but I still cannot grasp how that is seen as breakfast. Haven't they heard of eggs, or cereal?
 
I also find it strange that most children have the blandest sandwiches that not even a hobo would want to eat. My 4, 6 and 8 year olds request 'leverworst', which is liver paste, on the breakfast or lunch sandwiches. Yuk!
 
Breakfast for most Dutch families is, bread. Lunch for most Dutch families is....yes you guessed it BREAD. Dinner however is not bread but  in most cases meat ,potatoes and vegetables. The one thing that I shall not forget to mention is that they do not add any salt, to anything! This for me has been quite an adjustment. I love salt, I really do. My friends and family will not fail to mention that when asked. The do however dip their potatoes into mayonnaise, which is delicious for the most part and the one thing about Dutch food I am not complaining over...

No comments:

Post a Comment