Tuesday 17 September 2013

A DAY IN AMSTERDAM























I awoke to a sunny morning last week Sunday, a rare find in early September in Holland. Due to the previous day's venturing out in Utrecht, my 'morning' was more of a late one. I lazed about till 1 o clock when I thought to myself, 'Tara you're in Holland, get off your tush and go do something!' So off I went to Amsterdam for the day, alone... again. Hmmm I am noticing a trend on the 'alone' part, but do not fear friends, I do this out of pure enjoyment. Sometimes I feel going with people binds you to do something agreed upon by all, going solo merely allows you to wander as you please, something I am not a stranger to.
 
I had thought about buying a map of Amsterdam at some point but relished in the thought of getting lost. I didn't go with much of a plan, only my backpack and my bicycle, both of which have served me well thus far. A 5 Euro train ride got me from Driebergen to Amsterdam via Utrecht. I had many moments where I wasn't even sure what I was doing was allowed, take for instance my bicycle on the train. It turns out after speaking to my host dad, that you need to purchase a special ticket when taking your bike which costs a whopping 20 euro.  Needless to say I will be pulling the tourist move if they ever ask me.
 
By the time I had arrived in Amsterdam, the weather was back to its gloomy self and off I headed to the Nemo Science Museum just outside station. A jewel of a building imitating ship like features and forms and a rustic sea green palette. I didn't go in, but snapped about 20 photos of the building. I suppose I was very enthusiastic about this stop because it was 'my first sight' in Amsterdam. I also biked past the Anne Frank Museum, countless bars, restaurants, cafĂ© and stylish people. Once I had accidentally stumbled onto the Museumplein, I purchased a weak cold coffee and a stale stroopwafel which I swallowed whilst basking in the last of the sun peeking through the rain clouds. Thinking back on that moment, despite the horrid food, makes me quite content.
 
The Stedelijk Museum was just behind me and I had to hold my ground at the sheer magnitude and beauty of the building. Although it still somewhat reminds me of a ridiculously scaled up Tupperware container I had to move a couple of metres away to get the entire building into one shot.  The lobby of the museum houses some of the most interesting books I have ever come across. The design section at Exclusive books has nothing on this place let me tell you that. When I came across a book about South African fashion photography in the townships, I grinned at the sight and felt somewhat at home.
 
After an hour of biking in an attempt to find the station, I casually strolled into a hotel and took a free map of the city. Something I should have done a long ago. It turns out I was a mere block away and further biked my way to my destination. I couldn't help but make a pitstop at the Openbare Bibliotheek and browse their 4 levels of books, DVD's, music and magazines. Definitely not your average Library that's for sure (and again pushing Exclusive books off the chart)
 
The train ride home was uneventful until I arrived at Utrecht Centraal Station where I ran into 2 au pair friends from my small town. Usually I wouldn't be taken aback at such an event, but since I have only been here 3 weeks and don't have as many friends here as I do back home, I thought this was shit cool and I love Holland. That is all...




















































































No comments:

Post a Comment