Sunday 8 September 2013

EXPLORING UTRECHT























Yesterday I set out to explore Utrecht on my own. It was initially a bit daunting at having to buy a ticket and travelling on the train alone, due to fear of getting lost or taking the wrong train. On the 2 occasions I have been in Utrecht by train, I managed to observe and pay close attention to which platform I needed to be on , where to buy tickets and what time the latest train leaves at night. For that I am grateful.

I was meeting a friend at 6 so had the afternoon to explore. I must admit that I got slightly lost if one can call it that. After biking for 2 hours, my caffeine craving got the better of me. I stopped at some café 'the Coffee Company' and ordered a small black coffee robbing me of 3 Euros. I paid with a 10 Euro note and on receiving my change, the barista had only given me 3 back. Now everyone who knows me will know my math is not what it should be but this was not right. Turns out she conveniently forgot to give me  5 Euro note back.

I sat outside and watched all the bikers pass me by whilst sipping on my horribly brewed coffee. The paper cup was leaking drops of coffee just about everywhere when Ewout, the young man sitting to the left of me asked if I wanted to use his napkin. We started talking and I went on rambling about how terrible my coffee was and the barista's sucky cashier skills. On his departure from the café we exchanged names (not numbers) and vowed to add one another on Facebook.

Laurence, the  man sitting to the right of me was just as cool. We had a fat conversation about travel and music. He told me all about a music festival in Siget, Hungary, Tivoli de helling, and his change in careers from marketing to setting out on his dream to become a musician. I gave him my card (how professional of me) and we bid our goodbyes. It was one of the coolest conversations I had in a while and it was great to meet some of the locals.

Travelling solo is the new black...

No comments:

Post a Comment