Wednesday 11 December 2013

COUCHSURFING IN BELGIUM

 
As I attempt to write about the past weekend spent Couchsurfing in Belgium, my fingers linger at each letter on the keypad. An experience I will most likely not forget and one I find hard translating into words.
 
Our Eurolines bus left from Utrecht station at exactly 09H00, leaving us with the long road to Belguim ahead of us. Michelle and I occasionally napped on each others shoulders, ate ginger biscuits and dreamily stared out the window. On our arrival in Bruges, we spent the remainder of the afternoon doing what one does best in Belgium, drink beer of course , followed by a quick train trip to Oostende where we could be staying the for the weekend with our couch surfing host, Yannick.
 
We drank copious amounts of beers whilst conversing about Africa, the history of Oostende, and a dismal attempt at his arcade games. As the night faded away, I fell asleep watching the Jungle book whilst Michelle and Yannick became better acquainted.
 
The best thing about Saturday was the chance to sleep in and laze about. We munched on a toasted 'stokbrood' filling our hungry belly's, followed by Yannicks historic tour of the war trenches on the coast and a stroll on the beach. When our time came to leave on Sunday, I felt I had witnessed two soul mates having to say goodbye. I'm quite a big cynic of love and anything 'relationshippy' and would rather stick a pencil in my eye, but these two were something else...






3 comments: