Monday 7 October 2013

HELLO MISTER TRAIN CONDUCTOR

Yesterday I decided to take on the treacherous adventure of biking all the way to Utrecht. To be honest, its really not that far, about 18km. It is however very tempting to hop on the train and be there within 7 minutes. My first stop as I cruised into town on my bike was the Spoorweg Museum, as recommended by numerous friends and acquaintances. Before even stepping foot inside, I ordered the largest cappuccino expecting to pay a good 5 euro for it. I gulped down the caffeiney goodness without a guilty feeling in the world knowing I had biked all the way there. It was weak and bland, as I had expected here in Holland, and tasted like watered down milk more so than coffee. No wonder the Netherlands is one of the biggest coffee drinking nations in the world, because of the simple fact that they need 6 cups of the stuff just to get a buzz from this watery drink they refer to as 'coffee'. Regardless of its quality, I only spent half of what I thought I would which is a luxury in itself.
 
The museum has a number of old train carriages on display which you can walk through. This wasn't particularly the highlight of the day, but being the designer I am, or was in this case, the smell of antique furniture transported me back to the 1800's. On entering some of the carriages, I would pretend I was a duchess wearing a fur coat, a trendy hat and a looped dress and corset.
 
I also had the chance to go through a train simulator. It felt more like a rollercoaster ride but I enjoyed in none the less. This was followed by an audio guided tour through an makeshift old English town recreating the history of trains
 
For the most part, It was a pretty okay museum. I enjoyed hearing about the history of the trans and the 'spoors' but in all honesty, I wouldn't have put it on my list of things to do. The museum in itself is interactive and fun which seems to gain mass popularity amongst families with children.


 





No comments:

Post a Comment