Tuesday 29 October 2013

HELLO BARCELONA : PART ONE


Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would be writing about Barcelona, but here I am, blogging about what an amazing city it is and how it managed to steal my heart in only 5 days.

After waking up on the morning of Friday the 18th of October and preparing the boys' breakfasts and school lunches, I did a bit of last minute packing into the smallest hand luggage bag ever. Iv always travelled with a substantial amount of clothes, so this was something I had to get used to. The weather forecasts for Spain read in the mid twenties, so in I packed skimpy shorts and dresses, this made the process a lot easier as these don't take up too much space. Myself and the girls took the train to Eindhoven, and from there the bus to the airport which is so small in size it only has 1 terminal. We checked in, took toilet breaks in turns and finally had a chance to sit down and relax before our flight. A friendly girl, Derya, sat down by the table next to us and we ended up striking a conversation with her, she too was headed off to Barcelona. Lone behold, she ended up sitting next to me on the flight and we spoke about South Africa, Sweden  and listened to Swedish rap.



As we touched down, I could already start to feel the heat from outside. We yanked our hand luggage out the compartments as fast as we could and sped into the Spanish Sun. We purchased our bus tickets into Barcelona and because I couldn't resist the heat in long pants anymore, I sneakily changed into my short shorts on the bus.  We exchanged numbers and full names with Derya before she headed off into the city to meet her boyfriend. From there it was our turn. I must admit, we got slightly lost and had to ask for directions in a nearby café' only to find out we were a mere block away from our hostel.

We waltzed into The Black Swan Hostel only to be greeted by the front desk girl demanding us to get our bags out the way. I wont lie when I say she was not the happiest clam I have come across. Regardless, she appointed us to room 110.

We explored the streets of Barcelona for what seemed like a good 3 hours when our hunger pains got the better of us. In true Spanish tradition, we sipped on tall glasses of sangria at Maka Maka, whilst conversing with the Australian and South African lads sitting beside us.

We managed to muster up enough energy to traipse home and slumped into our lumpy hostel mattresses, completely exhausted from all the traveling our first day had presented.

No comments:

Post a Comment